In these last days of winter, with the falling of the heralds of spring, some problems will arise again with the warming air and the rising sun. We are all tired of the cold, the closed air, the rain, we are longing for sunny days… But what troubles will we cause if we act carelessly?
While bronze skin was the symbol of healthy appearance and aesthetics at the beginning of the 20th century, in the 21st century, sunbathing and tanning began to be mentioned with negative effects such as skin cancer, early wrinkling, and increase in blemishes.
***Sunbathing, Tanning, Solarium -OUT-
***Protection from the sun, Sunscreen, White skin -IN-
The sun is the main source of vitamin D and has an important place in human life and health. However, it is not necessary to spend a long time under the sun for adequate vitamin D synthesis. 10-15 min daily. The sun is sufficient for the synthesis of vitamin D. At the same time, using sunscreen does not adversely affect the synthesis of vitamin D. When you stay under the sun for a long time and unprotected, many problems arise, from skin cancer to sunburns, from spots to premature aging.
*** Let’s protect our children from UV,
***% of the UV rays you are exposed to throughout your life 80ini to 18 years olduntil you get.
***Protecting our children from the sun reduces the risk of skin cancer by at least 80%.
Sunburn is one of the problems caused by ultraviolet rays (UVA-UVB). Children and the elderly are more susceptible to sunburn, which mostly affects fair-skinned people. Having a light-colored skin also increases the severity of the burn. Especially when you stay under the sun for a long time without protection, redness on the skin occurs within 2-4 hours, and water bubbles develop after 12-24 hours.
Sunburns can occur on unprotected skin in as little as 15 minutes. It is necessary to be extremely careful against sunburns that develop especially in children. Sunburns in childhood are the most important cause of skin cancer in later life. A child whose skin turns slightly pink at the end of a sunny day may have a fully developed burn the next day. For this reason, in order to prevent further damage, the child should be kept in the shade or in a closed environment and should not be exposed to the sun. The child should be told about sun protection methods.
WHAT SUN PROTECTION PROTECTS AGAINST
1- Sunburn and tanning,
2- Photoaging (wrinkles, sagging), sun spots,
3- Reduces solar elastosis and nevus development in children,
4- Decreases the activation of lip herpes,
5- It reduces the formation of actinic keratosis and epidermoid carcinoma,
6- It can also be seen in basaliomas with melanoma and other skin cancers. reduces.
* Using a sunscreen product does not mean that you can stay under the sun longer. Because these products only reduce ultraviolet damage, contrary to popular belief, they do not eliminate the risk of damage.
* Since the water surface, sand, snow and concrete reflect the sun’s rays, those near these areas are more exposed to the harmful effects of the sun. Therefore, it is of great importance to use sunscreen products not under the direct sun, but also when only in the shade.
* It should be noted that sunscreen products have a protective feature against UVA as well as UVB rays. For this reason, sunscreens containing substances such as parsol, mexoryl, titanium dioxide and zinc oxide should be preferred. In addition, a water-resistant sunscreen should be preferred before swimming and sports activities that will cause sweating. For people living in our country, a sunscreen with a protection factor of at least SPF 30 should be chosen.
The sunscreen should be applied 30 minutes before going out in the sun and should be repeated every 2 hours. After sweating or swimming, the protector should be renewed regardless of this period.
* First of all, 2 mg of sunscreen should be applied per square centimeter in order to provide adequate protection. That is, half a teaspoon per area for the face, neck and single arm; body, anterior face, posterior face, single leg one teaspoon each.
HOW TO SUNBASE?
Many of us spend hours in the sun for the sake of tanning, especially on vacation. Tanning refers to sun damage to the skin, not health. Step by step to the sun. It is recommended that people with fair and wheat skin sunbathe for only 15 minutes on the first day, and this period should be extended to 1.5 hours over time. Dark-skinned people, on the other hand, should stay under the sun for 15 minutes. Damage caused by the sun is most common in fair-skinned people. The risk of developing diseases such as skin cancer in dark-skinned people is less than in light and wheat-skinned people. However, this does not mean that dark-skinned people can stay in the sun longer.
Fair-skinned people, children and the elderly should especially use products with a protection factor of SPF 30 and above.
Most of us think that we need to protect ourselves from the sun only when we are by the seaside and by the pool and in summer. Therefore, we do not use sunscreen when going out. However, we are exposed to ultraviolet rays whenever we are outdoors. Sitting under umbrellas on beaches cannot provide adequate protection. Because the rays reflected from the sea, sand, water or concrete are also effective when they are in the shade. In addition, on cloudy, cool, windy days, ultraviolet rays reach the earth and show their effect. Therefore, it is necessary to give importance to protection methods all the time, not only in summer and when sunbathing.
HOW TO PROTECT?
* The use of sunscreen should be made a habit, such as brushing teeth or checking e-mails.
*Be careful not to go out in the sun between 10.00-16.00 and limit outdoor activities as much as possible.
* If your shadow is longer than you, you are safe.
* Just standing in the shade reduces UV by 50-95%.
* Window glass absorbs light below 320 nm, that is, it protects from UVB, but not from UVA.
* Protective clothing, glasses and a wide-brimmed hat are a very important element in protection. Only the t-shirt provides as much protection as SPF 6.
*Choose a sunscreen with at least SPF 30. Renew your protector every 2 hours. Reapply your sunscreen after sweating or swimming.
* Don’t be fooled by the cool feeling of water. Because sun rays can show their harmful effects even in water. Therefore, be careful not to be in the water unprotected.
*Be careful to use sunscreen from a young age to protect your child’s skin, since 80% of the damage caused by the sun on the skin develops until the age of 18. You reduce the number of nevi and the risk of melanoma and non-melanoma skin cancer.