My hair is falling out, what should I do?’: Here are the steps to do against hair loss
My hair is falling out, what should I do? This question is among the most sought after questions on the internet… Acıbadem Fulya Hospital Dermatology Specialist prof. Dr. We asked Sedat Akdeniz about hair loss. Akdeniz says, “There should be no application for hair loss at home without determining the cause” and explains what to do in case of hair loss: (After this article, you can check out our articles on how to moisturize dry hair and hair care masks)
Akdeniz’s answers to the questions are as follows:
What can I do at home for hair loss?
Under normal conditions, our hair sheds in physiological numbers (50-100 pieces) every day, in a way that does not cause thinning of the hair. This means that the hair is renewed. Hair loss is a common condition and is often uncomfortable. With the clinical examination and evaluation to be made, the cause of the shedding can be found in most of the patients. For the correct diagnosis, detailed patient history, examination of the scalp, microscopic analysis of the hair or, in some patients, a biopsy of the scalp and related laboratory tests may be required.
When the hair started to fall out, the drugs used by the patient, the drugs used before, family history, diet, diseases, hair treatments should be detailed. After the cause of hair loss is determined, appropriate treatment is started. For hair loss at home, no application should be made without determining the cause.
What to do for hair loss?
Considering that the loss of hair is at a level that will cause thinning and opening, it is necessary to consult a dermatologist first. Causes that may cause spillage should be investigated and, if necessary, investigations should be carried out to determine the cause.
Why does hair fall out the most?
The causes of hair loss show gender differences. The most common cause of hair loss in both men and women is androgenetic (hormone and genetic factors) hair loss.
- Hormonal changes in women (menstruation pattern), pregnancy can cause hair loss. Hair loss is very rare during pregnancy. This situation is mostly due to hormonal and metabolic reasons that develop physiologically during pregnancy.
- Sometimes strict dietary practices, strict vegetarian diets can be the cause of hair loss. Hair shedding time is important.
- The reasons why hair is acute and chronic differ. Sudden onset hair loss may develop due to a systemic disease, nutritional deficiency, and toxic effects of the drugs used.
- Hair loss with a chronic course may accompany a genetic syndromal condition or may be hormonal. Anemia, thyroid dysfunctions and autoimmune diseases can cause hair loss.
- Hair cosmetics applications, perm (heat and/or chemical treatment), styling, dyeing and bleaching processes can cause hair loss and loss.
- Hair loss may develop in some patients due to febrile illness, major surgery, severe infectious disease, childbirth and severe psychological stress.
- During the pandemic, the frequency of hair loss has increased in clinical practice after Covid19 infection (severe infection) and stress caused by the pandemic. Despite very detailed research, the cause of hair loss in some patients may not be determined exactly.
- The reasons differ according to the shedding feature of the scalp. While hair loss usually affects a limited area when pelad (colloquially; hair breaker) develops, it can cause more widespread hair loss when it develops due to hair care products applied to the hair.
What can I use against hair loss?
Today, the use of over-the-counter products, which are suggested to be effective against hair loss, is very common on the internet. First of all, the cause of hair loss should be determined. Treatment for the factor causing hair loss should be targeted.